Hanukkah, which means “dedication” in Hebrew, is an eight-day festival celebrated by Jews all over the world. During Hanukkah, Jews commemorate the rededication of the Temple of Jerusalem in the second century BC after the Maccabean revolt. One of the most enjoyable activities of Hanukkah is eating traditional Jewish foods.
Latkes, or fried potato pancakes, are a traditional food eaten during Hanukkah. Each person has their own recipe, but latkes are usually made with potatoes or sweet potatoes, eggs, onions, and matzo meal. They are fried in oil to commemorate the miracle of the oil that lasted for eight days.
Sufganiyot are jelly doughnuts. These sweet treats are customary on the Hanukkah table. Much like with latkes, each family has their own recipe. Generally, sufganiyot are jelly-filled doughnuts that are deep-fried and topped with either a sugar glaze or powdered sugar.
Bimuelos are sweet fritters also traditionally served during Hanukkah. They are made with simple ingredients like flour, sugar, eggs, milk, and a dash of flavoring. Bimuelos are deep-fried in oil and can be served plain or filled with jam.
Apples and Honey
At the beginning of the celebration, apples and honey are eaten as a prayer for a sweet year. Additionally, apples can be served as slices with honey or turned into applesauce. Apples are a reminder of the sweetness of freedom and is a bridge between the traditional meal and dessert.
No Hanukkah would be complete without the traditional foods that are associated with it. Latkes, sufganiyot, bimuelos, apples, and honey are all regularly served during Hanukkah in order to fully commemorate the miracle of the oil. Eating these traditional dishes is an important part of the holiday season and also a way to have a few tasty treats over the course of the festival.
- What Do You Eat On Hanukkah?
- What Food Do Hanukkah Eat?
- What Food Do They Eat During Hanukkah?
- What Food Do People Eat On Hanukkah?
- What Foods Do You Eat On Hanukkah?
- What Do You Eat At Hanukkah?
- Why Do You Eat Jelly Donuts On Hanukkah?
- What Do People Eat For Hanukkah?
- What Do You Eat During Hanukkah?
- Why Do We Eat Fried Food On Hanukkah?
- What Do People Eat During Hanukkah?
- What Kind Of Food Do They Eat On Hanukkah?
- What Food Does Hanukkah Eat?
- What Do You Eat For Hanukkah?
- When Do You Eat Latkes During Hanukkah?
Last update 2023-11-22. Price and product availability may change.