Hanukkah is a Jewish holiday in which candles are lit for 8 days to commemorate the rededication of the Holy Temple in Jerusalem. As part of the tradition and celebration, food plays a big role. From latkes (potato pancakes) to sufganiyot (jelly donuts), there are many delicious dishes people enjoy to commemorate the Festival of Lights.
Traditional Hanukkah Foods
Many traditional Hanukkah foods are fried in oil, in commemoration of the miracle of a one-day supply of oil burning for eight days. Frying in olive oil is most common, but vegetable oil is used as well. Common dishes include:
Latkes are potato pancakes fried in oil. They are traditionally served with applesauce or sour cream on the side.
Bimuelos are deep-fried pastries, usually stuffed with jelly or honey and nuts. These can be sweet or savory.
Sufganiyot are deep-fried jelly donuts. These can be topped with powdered sugar, chocolate, sprinkles, or other toppings.
In addition to these traditional Hanukkah dishes, many other foods can be enjoyed. Many Jews prepare rich meals of traditional delicious dishes during Hanukkah. This might include brisket, challah, tzimmes (a stew of sweet potatoes and dried fruit), and noodle kugel.
Hanukkah is a wonderful time for family and friends to come together and enjoy tasty treats as part of the celebration. From traditional fried dishes to more modern, delectable treats, there are many dishes to enjoy that celebrate the Festival of Lights.
- What Do People Eat During Hanukkah?
- What Food Do People Eat On Hanukkah?
- What Do People Eat On Hanukkah?
- What Food Do You Eat On Hanukkah?
- What Are A Couple Different Foods That Jewish People Eat During Hanukkah?
- What Do Jewish Eat During Hanukkah?
- Why Do We Eat Latkes On Hanukkah?
- What Food Do Hanukkah Eat?
- What Do You Eat During Hanukkah?
- What Do You Eat For Hanukkah?
- What Do They Eat In Hanukkah?
- Why Do You Eat Jelly Donuts On Hanukkah?
- What Do You Eat On Hanukkah?
- What Do Hanukkah Eat?
- What Foods Do You Eat On Hanukkah?
Last update 2023-11-22. Price and product availability may change.