Latkes, a traditional Hanukkah dish, are a fun and easy way to celebrate the holiday. The most popular and classic latke recipe involves grating potatoes into a batter, then frying it until it’s golden and crispy. Latkes can also be made with other vegetables, like zucchini or sweet potatoes. Whether you’re frying up your grandmother’s recipe or trying something a little different, here’s how to make delicious latkes for Hanukkah.
What You’ll Need:
- 3 cups grated potatoes
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
Grate 1-3 russet potatoes, until you’ve got 3 cups worth. Place the grated potatoes in a bowl and cover with cold water. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes then drain off the water. This helps get rid of some of the starch.
Add 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour, 2 lightly beaten eggs, 1/2 cup chopped onions, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Mix everything together well.
Heat 1/4-1/2 inch of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, drop a tablespoon of the latke mixture into the pan. Flatten the latke with a spatula and fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
Remove each latke from the pan and place them on a paper towel to soak up some of the excess oil. Serve the latkes hot with your favorite topping – like diced applesauce, Greek yogurt or sour cream.
Making latkes for Hanukkah can be a fun and delicious way to celebrate the holiday. With the right ingredients and some patience, you can make latkes that everyone at the table will love. Whether you keep it traditional with potatoes or switch it up with zucchini or sweet potatoes, you’ll be sure to make a tasty and memorable Hanukkah dish.
- How Do You Make Latkes For Hanukkah?
- How To Make Hanukkah Cookies?
- How To Make Hanukkah Donuts?
- How To Make Hanukkah Candles?
- How To Make A Hanukkah Menorah?
- What To Make For Hanukkah Dinner?
- What To Serve With Latkes For Hanukkah?
- What Do Latkes Have To Do With Hanukkah?
- Where Did Hanukkah Latkes Originate?
- What To Make For Hanukkah?
- How To Clean Hanukkah Menorah?
- Why Do We Eat Latkes On Hanukkah?
- Why Do You Eat Latkes On Hanukkah?
- How To Light Hanukkah Candles Left To Right?
- What Goes With Latkes Hanukkah?
Last update 2023-11-26. Price and product availability may change.