The last day of Hanukkah, also known as Zos Hanukkah, marks the end of the Jewish holiday that celebrates rededication and miracles. Zos Hanukkah is celebrated with special traditions like lighting the last candle of the menorah and eating plenty of latkes. While everyone celebrates in their own unique way, there are certain activities that can be done to end the holiday on a high note and ensure that the spirit of Hanukkah lives on all year long.
Light the Hanukkah Lights
The end of Hanukkah is marked by the lighting of the last hanukkiyah (Hanukkah menorah) candle. This is the climax of the holiday, and is celebrated with prayers, songs, and a sense of satisfaction that the festival is coming to an end. Many families also participate in a ceremony called Haneirot Halalu, which is a special prayer that praises God for the miracles of Hanukkah.
Eat Traditional Hanukkah Foods
Judaism emphasizes the importance of thanking and appreciating God through food. On the last day of Hanukkah, many families will enjoy traditional foods like latkes (potato pancakes), pareve soufganiyot (jelly donuts), and chremslach (fried pancakes). Eating these special foods on the eighth day serves as a tribute to the oil that burned for eight nights in the Beit Hamikdash (Temple) in Jerusalem.
Play Dreidel and Give Gifts
The game of dreidle is a familiar way to celebrate the last night of Hanukkah. Children of all ages will enjoy spinning the top and gambling with chocolate coins or gelt. Giving gifts is also customary on the final day of Hanukkah, as it serves as a reminder of the miracle of Hanukkah.
The last day of Hanukkah is a special day that brings families together to celebrate the end of a wonderful celebration. Lighting the final candle, eating traditional foods, and playing Dreidel and giving gifts are just a few of the ways that families can come together to honor the miracle of Hanukkah. Whether you plan to have an intimate gathering or a bigger celebration, you’re sure to have a memorable night that you won’t soon forget.
- What Do You Do Each Day Of Hanukkah?
- What Do You Do The First Day Of Hanukkah?
- What Do You Do On The First Day Of Hanukkah?
- What Day Of Hanukkah Do You Give Gifts?
- What Day Do You Wish Someone Happy Hanukkah?
- How Do You Do Hanukkah?
- How Do You Celebrate The First Day Of Hanukkah?
- What Day Do You Wish Happy Hanukkah?
- What Do You Say On The First Day Of Hanukkah?
- What Do You Say On The Last Day Of Hanukkah?
- What Do You Do In Hanukkah?
- What Do You Do For Hanukkah?
- What Day Do You Say Happy Hanukkah?
- How Do You Say Happy First Day Of Hanukkah?
- What Candle Do You Light On The First Day Of Hanukkah?
Last update 2023-11-27. Price and product availability may change.