The Hanukkah menorah is an important part of the holiday of Hanukkah. Lighting the menorah is a traditional act of remembrance and celebration of the Festival of Lights. The Hanukkah menorah is made up of nine branches – eight for each of the nights and an extra for the shamash (helper candle). The menorah is lit each night of Hanukkah following a specific order for lighting the candles.
Table of Contents
Lighting the Hanukkah Menorah
- Hanukkah menorah
- 45 minute pure beeswax candles (8 for every night and 1 for the shamash)
Instructions for Lighting
- Place the Hanukkah menorah in a visible spot that can be seen by passersby.
- Light the shamash (helper) candle.
- Recite the blessing: “Blessed are You, Lord Our God, King of the universe Who has sanctified us with His commandments and commanded us to kindle the Hanukkah light.”
- Light the candles from left to right with the shamash.
- Be sure the shamash remains lit until all the other candles are lit and is left to burn for at least 30 minutes. This allows the other candles to burn for at least half an hour.
Tips & Warnings
- Since it is a candle, never leave it unattended and keep an eye on it.
- The Hanukkah menorah should not be used as a nightlight or lamp.
Lighting the Hanukkah menorah is a traditional ritual performed during the eight days of Hanukkah that signifies the miracle of the Maccabees. A fitting way to light the menorah is to read the appropriate blessings while reciting aloud the Hanerot Hallalu blessings, which tell of the powerful miracle of rededication of the Holy Temple. Celebrating this holiday with the traditional Hanukkah menorah brings back memories of generations of Jewish families and the joy of this holiday.
- How Do You Light A Menorah For Hanukkah?
- How Do You Light A Hanukkah Menorah?
- How Do You Light The Menorah For Hanukkah?
- How Do You Light The Hanukkah Candles?
- How Do You Light The Hanukkah Candles Which Direction?
- How Do You Light The Candles For Hanukkah?
- How Many Candles Do You Light For Hanukkah?
- How Do You Light Hanukkah Candles?
- Which Direction Do You Light The Hanukkah Menorah?
- How Many Candles Do You Light On Hanukkah?
- When Do You Light The Menorah During Hanukkah?
- How Many Candles Do You Light The First Night Of Hanukkah?
- How Do You Light Candles For Hanukkah?
- How Many Candles Do You Light On The First Night Of Hanukkah?
- What Candle Do You Light First For Hanukkah?
Last update 2023-11-27. Price and product availability may change.