Lighting the menorah is a central part of celebrating Hanukkah. Although each individual family has its own traditions when it comes to lighting the menorah, there are a few basic steps that remain the same. Lighting the menorah marks the beginning of the eight-day holiday and is enjoyed by adults and children alike.
Table of Contents
Lighting the Menorah
Before you light your menorah, you will need to gather the supplies necessary to do so. These include:
- Menorah with nine candleholders (eight for the nightly lighting, and the ninth to light the other candles)
- Candles for each candle holder
- Matches or a lighter
Recite the Blessing
As with many Jewish customs, the menorah lighting is accompanied by blessings. The specific blessing used depends on who is performing the ritual. If an adult is lighting the menorah, he will recite the blessing. All the other participants should stand in respect and repeat the words “Amen.” If a child is lighting the menorah, the blessing should be recited by a parent or other adult, and then the child should light the candles.
Light the Menorah
Once the blessing has been recited, the menorah can be lit. The candle on the far right is lit first, using the pre-lit candle, the Shaliah. This candle is then used to light the other seven candles, from right to left. If you are celebrating both nights of Hanukkah, it is customary to light one candle on the night of the first day, followed by lighting two candles on the second night, and so on. Each night after sundown, until the eighth day of Hanukkah, the lighting is repeated in the same order.
Enjoy the Festival of Lights
Once the menorah is lit, Hanukkah has officially begun. After each night’s lighting, families typically enjoy traditional Hanukkah foods such as latkes and sufganiyot, play games such as dreidel, and exchange gifts.
Lighting the menorah is a meaningful ritual and an important part of celebrating Hanukkah. Although each family may have their own specific traditions when lighting the menorah, the basic steps remain the same. After following the instructions for gathering the necessary supplies, reciting the blessing, and lighting the menorah, you can then enjoy the celebration of this special holiday with your family.
- How Do You Light The Hanukkah Menorah?
- How Do You Light The Menorah For Hanukkah?
- How Do You Light A Menorah For Hanukkah?
- How Do You Light The Candles For Hanukkah?
- When Do You Light The Menorah During Hanukkah?
- How Do You Light The Hanukkah Candles?
- How Many Candles Do You Light For Hanukkah?
- How Many Candles Do You Light The First Night Of Hanukkah?
- How Do You Light The Hanukkah Candles Which Direction?
- How Many Candles Do You Light On Hanukkah?
- How Do You Light Candles For Hanukkah?
- How Do You Light Hanukkah Candles?
- How Many Candles Do You Light On The First Night Of Hanukkah?
- How Long Do You Light Hanukkah Candles Burn?
- When Do You Light Candles For Hanukkah?
Last update 2023-11-27. Price and product availability may change.