Hanukkah is a joyous celebration of religious freedom and celebration of Passover. The Hanukkah ceremony includes lighting of the menorah, dreidel playing, giving gifts and the reciting of blessings over the different symbols associated with the occasion. These blessings are traditionally performed by a member of the family, giving thanks to God and proclaiming the miracle of the oil that lasted for eight days.
<h2>What blessings do you say on Hanukkah?</h2>
<h3>Lighting the menorah:</h3>
The first blessing is said when the menorah is first lit: <strong>Baruch ata Adonai, Eloheinu melech ha’olam, asher kid’shanu b’mitzvotav, v’tzivanu l’hadlik ner shel Hanukkah. </strong>
The phrase translates to, “Blessed are you, Lord, our God, King of the Universe, who has made us holy through His commandments and has commanded us to kindle the light of Hanukkah.”
<h3>The Dreidel game:</h3>
After the menorah is lit, the dreidel can be spun. When the dreidel is spun, a blessing is said for each spin: <strong>Nes gadol hayah sham (בעזרת השם) – “A great miracle has taken place here.”</strong>
When giving gifts of Judaica such as Mezuzah, Torah or Challah covers, a blessing is said at each gift: <strong>Baruch attah Adonay, Eloheinu Melech Haolam, asher kideshanu b’mitzvotav v’tzivanu l’hoshev ba’zo, </strong>
This translates to, “Blessed are you, Lord our God, King of the Universe, who has sanctified us with His commandments and commanded us to place the Mezuzah.”
<h3>The Hanukkah meal blessing:</h3>
Before the Hanukkah feast begins, the leader of the family recites the following blessing: <strong>Baruch ata Adonai Eloheinu Melech Haolam, Hamotzaei l’hafrish matzo. Shehecheyanu V’Kiy’manu V’higianu Lazman Hazeh. </strong>
This translates to, “Blessed are you, Lord our God, King of the Universe, who separates the holiness from the profanity and has allowed us to remain alive, retain our strength and reach this special occasion.”
In conclusion, the blessings in Hanukkah show our gratefulness and appreciation to God for the miracles He bestowed upon us. From the lighting of the menorah to the dreidel game and from Judaica gifts to the Hanukkah meal blessing, each and every blessing highlights the importance of remembering the significances of this joyful and meaningful season.
- What Do You Say When Lighting Hanukkah Candles?
- What Do You Say When You Light The Hanukkah Candles?
- What Do You Say At Hanukkah?
- What Prayers Do You Say On The First Night Of Hanukkah?
- What Do You Say During Hanukkah?
- What Do You Say On Hanukkah?
- What Do You Say To Celebrate Hanukkah?
- What Candle Do You Light On The First Day Of Hanukkah?
- What Do You Say On The Last Day Of Hanukkah?
- What Are The Blessings For The First Night Of Hanukkah?
- What Do You Say For Hanukkah?
- What Are The Hanukkah Blessings?
- How Many Blessings Are Said On The First Night Of Hanukkah?
- What Do You Say To Someone Celebrating Hanukkah?
- What Do You Say On The First Day Of Hanukkah?
Last update 2023-11-21. Price and product availability may change.