Hanukkah, the Jewish holiday also known as the Festival of Lights, is typically celebrated with the lighting of the menorah, exchanging gifts and eating traditional food. With colorful decorations, flickering candles and tasty treats, Hanukkah is always filled with joy. With so many festive meals to enjoy, plus presents to give and receive, the traditional Hanukkah season is one of the most eagerly-anticipated Jewish holidays of the year. But what is an appropriate gift for Hanukkah?
Traditional Gift Ideas
- Gelt: Gift giving is part of the Hanukkah celebration, and a popular tradition is gelt – small coins wrapped in gold foil. Historically, gelt would be used to reward children for their diligent study and practice in the skills of reading Hebrew and understanding Jewish law. Today, gelt is a chocolate-based treat that’s enjoyed as a sweet reward.
- Menorahs: The menorah is a traditional candelabra used during the celebration of Hanukkah. While you can find a great selection of designs at your local immigration store, Judaica gifts stores will offer a more unique selection. Menorahs come in all types of styles, shapes, colors and sizes. Look for menorahs that reflect the wonderful gift of the holiday and the gift recipient’s personality.
- Kippah: A kippah is a Jewish head covering that’s traditionally worn in the home and in synagogues by adult male Jews. The wearing of a kippah is meant to remind Jews of the presence of God and is a symbol of respect and reverence in the presence of the Divine. Look for kippah in various sizes and colors.
- Judaism-related books: The best gifts come from the heart, and a unique Hanukkah gift idea is a book related to Jewish texts and traditions. Cooking, travel, history and culture books will make thoughtful gifts that reflect Jewish heritage and culture..
More Gift Giving Ideas
- Jewish Artwork: Beautiful Jewish art pieces can make meaningful and lasting Hanukkah gifts. From vivid abstract paintings to intricate mosaics, there are many art pieces to choose from. You may find pieces in local art galleries or quirky Judaica stores.
- Gift baskets: A Hanukkah basket full of holiday treats and goodies can be a hit with the entire family. Gourmet gifts and Judaica items are great for gift baskets. For the kids, fill the basket with fun activities like coloring books or puzzles.
- Judaica items: Hanukkah presents can include classic Judaica pieces, like Seder plates, Kiddush cups, mezuzahs, and hanukkiot. Fill your home with items like a menorah, candles, kiddush cups, and prayer books to create a holiday atmosphere.
- Gifts for good deeds: Let your children know that compassionate acts are just as important as a delicious Hanukkah meal with meaningful gifts for good deeds. Pick a country or organization that the family supports, then make a donation and add a special note to your gift.
Hanukkah presents come in all shapes and sizes, so pick something special that your family and friends will remember. From traditional Hanukkah gelt to unique religious-based items that reflect the heritage of your Jewish background, you can find a gift for everyone to enjoy. Celebrate the season of light with a beautiful gift that will be treasured for many years to come.
- What Is A Good Hanukkah Gift?
- What Is A Good Gift To Give To Someone For Hanukkah?
- What Is A Good Hanukkah Blessing?
- What Is A Good Hanukkah Greeting?
- What Is An Appropriate Hanukkah Gift?
- What Are Good Hanukkah Gifts?
- Hanukkah Gelt Good Chocolate
- Good Light Hanukkah
- What To Gift For Hanukkah?
- Hanukkah Candles Good Light
- Good Light Hanukkah Candles
- Hanukkah Candles Good Lite
- What Is An Appropriate Gift For Hanukkah?
- What Is A Traditional Hanukkah Gift?
- What Day Do You Give A Hanukkah Gift?
Last update 2023-11-27. Price and product availability may change.